“It was in the Magpie Hotel in Sunbury, in 1930, that sixteen intrepid gentlemen founded the Thames Motor Cruiser Club. … “
… and since that day we now have four pages of history.
In 1980, the Thames Motor Yacht Club published a Jubilee Year Book to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Club. These notes are based on that review.
In 2000, Dieter Jebens wrote this article for the Royal Thames Society, tracing the history of the Thames Motor Yacht Club
Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Pageant
Thames Motor Yacht Club boats took part in the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Pageant on Sunday 3rd June 2012. Here we have the story, with some memorable photographs.
The Officers of the Club since 1930
Proud to fly ‘The Blue’
The Thames Motor Yacht Club is honoured to have been given the right to fly its own defaced blue ensign, a privilege bestowed on the Club in 1951 by The Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty. This special year in the Club”s history appropriately marked its “coming of age”.
Members of the Club who comply with certain preconditions are extended the privilege to fly “The Blue” and the TMYC remains the only club on the non-tidal Thames with this honour.